« DBA vs the Rest of the Company | Main | Creating a Web Management System Using PHP & MySQL »

Safari Browser for Windows?

A couple of weeks ago I downloaded the new Apple Safari browser beta. While there is lots to like about it, it still has a way to go to become the fourth browser I keep open on my computer. Currently I have two SeaMonkey browser windows open, one FireFox browser window and seven IE7 browser windows open.

I tried Safari as a substitute for four of the seven IE windows. It didn't work out.

And here are the six reasons why:

1. I have a four button plus scroll wheel mouse. I use every button and the scroll wheel. The two extra buttons are the "Back" and "Forward" buttons on the browser window so I don't have to move my mouse to those buttons on the browser. In Windows, I have set the default behaviour of my scroll wheel to page through documents instead of scrolling one line at a time. In Safari, none of these things work.

2. There was no way to get a dropdown of the favorites. It showed up on the screen and then I had to drill down through the various favorite folders to get to the page I wanted to go to.

3. Memory hog. Although all browsers are memory hogs, IE7 is the only browser that as you close tabs and windows (opened with CTRL-n) that reduces the memory it takes.

4. Handle hog. One time I only had two Safari browser windows open, with 2 tabs each and the amount of handles it was using was over 2,000!

5. Browser window size. Using CTRL-n to open up another window in any other browser, opens it the same size and spaced a little bit down and over from the original one. Not Safari.

6. Password saving. When I wasn't paying attention to what I typed as a user, and as a touch typist with the right hand one key over, I typed the wrong username and password. And saved the username/password combination. The first character was correct. So when I entered the correct username and password, it saved it too. But whenever I went to enter the username afterwards it always showed the garbled usersname and entered the password. When I select the correct username from the dropdown it would not change the password to the selected username. And because I couldn't delete the garbled username/password combination (another bug), it was like I never saved it.

So I'll wait for it to go out of beta and try again. It did have a way of sending bug reports to Apple, which I did for the first four items, and hopefully they read them and will do something about them.


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)


This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on June 23, 2007 12:55 PM.

The previous post in this blog was DBA vs the Rest of the Company.

The next post in this blog is Creating a Web Management System Using PHP & MySQL.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Powered by
Movable Type 3.34